Salt Herring & Potatoes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 lbs salt herring (cleaned & cut in 3rds)
- 8 lg potatoes (half-jackets)
- 1 lg onion (sliced)
Soak salt herring in cold water overnight (approx 6-8 hours). Drain and replace with cold water.
In a med-size pot, bring herring to a slow boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain, replace with cold water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender (approx 20-30 minutes). Drain and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Serve as main dish with sliced raw onion and a good cup of steeped tea with a fresh slice of homemade bread and molasses.
- Ensure water is two inches above the herring prior to boiling
- If herring is salty to taste, change water prior to adding potatoes
- Half-jackets – potatoes with tops cut off at each end
loggy – feeling tired