Baked Stuffed Squid
- 12 med squid (Atlantic)
- 3 tbsp melted butter (or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 3 cup bread crumbs (from sliced bread)
- 1½ tbsp savoury (Mount Scio Farm)
- ½ tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 12 slices of salt pork (thin slices 2”L x 1/8 “ thick)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (for garnishing)
- 1 cup spicy salsa (for garnishing)
Clean squid as per instruction below. Remove fins and tentacles (chop in small pieces). In a skillet, low-med heat, sauté onion, garlic, fins and tentacles in butter for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, savoury, thyme, basil and onion mixture. Mix well and season to taste. Fill mantles loosely with stuffing and secure ends with toothpicks. Place in a baking dish and add 1 piece of salt pork of top of each squid. Pour water in baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350°F for approx 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender (take aluminum foil off the last 10 minutes of baking). Serve with your favorite side dish and garnish with spicy salsa and parsley.
How to Clean Squid
Grip the body and head with both hands and gently pull apart, the entrails will come right out. Cut tentacles just below the eyes, remove and discard beak from centre of tentacles. Remove and discard cuttle-bone from inside the body (long thin silver bone). Peel or scrape off outside skin by running under cold water. Wash well.
make haste now my darlin’ – hurry up