Monthly Archives: December 2017
Prepare pudding bowl and how to steam pudding instructions
- 1 can 20 oz sliced pineapple
- Candied cherries, cut in half
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soft shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
In a well-greased pudding bowl, place one slice of pineapple at bottom. Arrange other slices on inside wall of bowl. Place cherries in pineapple holes. In a sauce pan on medium heat, melt butter and sugar, until sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture in bottom of pudding-bowl.
In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, one at a time until well blended. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Stir in milk until batter is formed. Spoon batter in pudding-bowl and steam for 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center of pudding comes out clean (go through the foil and parchment paper).
Once steaming is completed, lift pudding-bowl from pot and remove foil and parchment paper. Cool for 10 minutes. Using a palette knife, loosen all around the pudding and remove by gently shaking onto a serving plate.
Instructions on how to Steam a Pudding
1. Thoroughly grease bowl with butter;
2. Line bottom of bowl with parchment paper;
3. Make a lid using foil and parchment paper to cover top of bowl;
4. Form a pleat (1 inch) in middle of both foil and parchment paper;
5. Place on top of bowl and form around the lip of the pudding-bowl;
6. Tie in place and create a handle before placing in steamer or lidded pan;
7. Use boiling water and ensure water level inside pan reaches half-way up bowl;
8. Check at 30-minute intervals to ensure it does not boil dry;
9. Water level should not fall below 1 quarter up the bowl; and
10. Add boiling water when necessary.