Navy Bean Soup
Makes 6 servings (8 oz per portion)
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 2 tbsp bacon or salt pork (sm dice)
- 2 tbsp onion (sm dice)
- ¼ cup carrots (sm dice)
- ¼ cup celery (sm dice)
- 2 tbsp leeks (thinly slice)
- 1 whole garlic clove (chopped)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- ½ cup cooked ham (sm dice)
- Dash thyme
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes (with juice)
Rinse beans and soak overnight in cold water. Drain.
In a lg saucepan, med heat, cook bacon until all fat is rendered (do not cook crisp). Add vegetables (including garlic) and cook on low heat until almost tender. Add stock and ham. Season to taste. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until beans are tender (approx 1½ hours).
Add tomatoes and simmer for another 15 minutes. Season to taste. Mash one cup of beans and return to soup for thickening (if soup is too thick add a little broth or water). Serve piping hot.
Kevin J Phillips