Makes 8-10 servings
- ½ gallon of stock (second water from the Salt Junk dinner) – see recipe
- 1 lb cooked salt beef (small pieces)
- 1 large onion (med chopped)
- 3 large potatoes (sm chopped)
- 1 small turnip (sm chopped)
- 1 med cabbage (sm chopped)
- ½ lb carrots (sm diced)
- Salt & pepper
In a soup pot, med-high heat, add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Season to taste. Simmer until all vegetables are cooked or tender (approx 30 minutes). Serve as an appetizer or main dish.
Note: If not using stock or already cook salt beef, use fresh cold water and a piece of salt beef (cut in small pieces), bring to a boil and let it simmer for 1½ hours before adding vegetables.
- If stock is too salty, pour out and replace with fresh cold water.
- Cut your vegetables in small pieces
- You can add rice for thickening purposes or instead of potato
neither meal nor malt – in dire poverty