Purée soups are made by simmering fresh or dried vegetables in water, broth or stock, then pureeing in a food processor, food mill or with an immersion blender. The basic procedure for making this particular soup is relative easy:
- Sweat mirepoix (onion, celery & carrot) or other fresh vegetables in fat;
- Add liquid;
- Add starchy or dries vegetables;
- Simmer until vegetables are tender (do not over-cook vegetables);
- Purée soup in a food processor, food mill or with an immersion blender;
- Add cream if required; and
- Season to taste (salt, pepper, herbs & other spices).
Makes 6 servings (8 oz portion size)
- 2 tbsp pork fat (veg oil or butter)
- ½ cup onion (sm dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (mince)
- ¼ cup celery (sm dice)
- ¼ cup carrot (sm dice)
- ½ cup potato (sm dice)
- 2 cups butternut squash (med dice)
- 3¼ cups chicken broth (veg broth or water)
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup cream (hot) (optional)
In a soup pot, low-med heat, sweat onion, garlic, celery, carrot and butternut squash in oil until vegetables are half-cooked (do not brown). Season to taste. Stir occasionally. Add broth and potato. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
Purée soup with a food mill, food processor or an immersion blender until smooth (add more broth (a little at a timer) if consistency is too thick). Return soup to pot and simmer. Season to taste. If desired, add hot cream just prior to serving time. Garnish with parsley and sour cream. Excellent with crusty buns and a good cup of steeped tea.
Variations to Purée Soups
Purée of Cauliflower Soup
Use 2 cups cauliflower instead of butternut squash.
Purée of Carrot Soup
Use 2¼ cups carrot instead of butternut squash.
Purée of Broccoli Soup
Use 2 cups broccoli instead of butternut squash.
Purée of Potato Soup
Omit butternut squash, add 2½ oz (5 tbsp) leeks and increase potatoes to 2½ cups.
Purée of Vegetable Soup
Omit butternut squash, add 2½ cups carrots, 1/3 cup of each; celery, turnips, leeks or onion and cabbage.
Purée of Turnip Soup
Use 1 cup leeks and 1½ cups potato instead of butternut squash.
- You can substitute onion or shallots for leeks, keeping in mind that the flavour of onion and shallots is much stronger
- Adding cream to your puréed soup will change the texture and flavour, resulting in a Cream Puréed Soup
Kevin J Phillips