Steamed Wild Blueberry Pudding
Prepare pudding bowl as per instructions
- ¼ cup soft butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup blueberries
- Butter (greasing bowl)
In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg until well blended.
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture with vanilla and milk until a batter is formed. Gently fold in blueberries.
Spoon batter in a well-greased 1-pint pudding bowl and steam for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center of pudding comes out clean (go through foil and parchment paper). Once steaming is completed, lift pudding bowl from pot and remove foil and parchment paper. Cool for 10 minutes. Using a palette knife, loosen all around the pudding and remove by gently shaking onto a serving plate. Serve with a lemon sauce.
Instructions on how to Steam a Pudding
1. Thoroughly grease bowl with butter;
2. Line bottom of bowl with parchment paper;
3. Make a lid using foil and parchment paper to cover top of bowl;
4. Form a pleat (1 inch) in middle of both foil and parchment paper;
5. Place on top of bowl and form around;
6. Tie in place and create a handle before placing in steamer or lidded pan;
7. Use boiling water and ensure water level inside pan reaches half-way up bowl;
8. Check at 30-minute intervals to ensure it does not boil dry;
9. Water level should not fall below 1 quarter up the bowl; add
10. Add boiling water when necessary.